What are the properties a foreign person can acquire without having to apply for approval under the Residential Property Act?

A foreigner may buy the following types of properties:-

  1. a flat or apartment in a building (irrespective of levels) (including an HUDC Phase I or Phase II flat and a privatised Phase III or IV flat). However, the foreigner may not buy all the units within a Development.
  2. an unit in an approved condominium development.
  3. a leasehold estate in a property defined as “residential property” for a term not exceeding 7 years including any further term which may be granted by way of an option for renewal.
  4. a HDB flat purchased directly from HDB*
  5. a resale HDB flat where HDB has consented to the sale*
  6. a HDB Shophouse*
  7. an Executive Condominium purchased under the Executive Condominium Housing Scheme Act*

NOTE: Properties (4) to (7) above are not under the purview of the Residential Property Act. Intended purchasers of these properties are required to enquire directly with the Housing And Development Board regarding their eligibility