Can I change my surname or family name with a Deed Poll?

If you are an adult, you may change your surname (also known as family name or last name) with a Deed Poll.

For a minor, the parent should obtain the consent of the other parent of the child prior to changing the surname of the child. Save for exceptions, both parents should sign the Deed Poll.

For a single mother of a child under 1 year old (where Birth Certificate only showed the mother’s name), you may not change the child’s surname in the Birth Certificate to a third party’s surname with a Deed Poll, and you are strongly advised to approach ICA for advice.

Caution Note: this section contain government policies and procedures and the answers are subject to errors or inaccuracies, if any.