Can I change my child’s name on Singapore birth certificate?

Child below one year #

Parents may apply to alter or their child’s name before the child turns one year old, provided that the child’s name has not been previously altered. Only the child’s parent or legal guardian may apply to alter the child’s name at the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA). Unless required by ICA, you do not need a Deed Poll. Source: ICA’s website

If you have enquiry about this governmental policy, please check with ICA directly, rather our law practice.

Child one year and above #

If a child is one year and above, the parents of the child cannot change the child’s name in the child’s Singapore birth certificate.

You will only be able to change the name in the child’s passport and/or identity card at ICA, and you may need a Deed Poll for such change. If in doubt, please clarify with ICA.

Caution #

The information may contain errors, be incomplete, or be affected by changes in government policies, laws, or regulations. We do not accept any liability for any inaccuracies or errors in the information provided. It is your responsibility to verify any information before relying on it. This information does not constitute legal advice, and legal procedures and regulations may change over time.